Apr 2, 2018

Owner of 17,000 Albums Shares Music With Seniors

0 comments

Bob Knutson spent his working years as a welder. He is first to admit he lacked a spark for music.

Music found him anyway.

Now, every month Knutson drives a 200-mile route making sure music finds its way to senior citizens, too.

"This is a calling," the founder of Songs for Seniors said. "It's the best gift you could give these seniors."

KARE-TV reports that Knutson's path from retiree to music man started when a neighbor died, leaving him with more than 2,000 vinyl records.

Though never drawn to music before, Knutson started listening. Among waves of Johnny Cash, Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra, inspiration struck.

If Knutson could find enjoyment from the old albums, he reasoned, maybe others would too.

In 2014, Knutson dropped off his first turntable and speakers at a Red Wing nursing home. Four years later, he's delivered more than 40 record players to senior communities in eastern Minnesota and western Wisconsin.

"This is better than medicine and it's easier to swallow," said Knutson, repeating one of his favorite lines.

Mary Dougherty is activities director at Preferred Senior Living in Ellsworth, Wisconsin, one of the senior communities on Knutson's route.

"The music just brings so many memories to them," Dougherty said. "There are some people that don't talk anymore and music will bring them back. They can sing a song even when they can't talk."

On a recent afternoon, residents of Preferred Senior Living gathered at a table, passing around newly delivered albums while listening to polka music and pop artists from the '50s and '60s.

For More You Can Check:

Smart contract technology example

• From a Sydney studio space, Colombian singer-songwriter Juanes reflects on three decades in the music industry. One of the biggest non-English speaking acts in the world, the 45-year-old is currently touring Australia.  He performed over the weekend at Byron Bay Bluesfest and is bringing his Latin groove to Sydney and Melbourne as part of the Australian leg of his tour. It's only his second visit Down Under. "I'm having the best time in Australia," Juanes, real name Juan Esteban Aristrizabal Vasquez, told SBS News. “What I like the most is the energy of the people in this country.” For More You Can Check: Cryptocurrency Animation Video
  • Dream Theater was my gateway to prog and my favorite band for a long time during my teens. Like with most things I got a bit sick of listening to them and most of their later releases just didn't spike my fancy anymore. Though I can't blame it on Portnoy leaving: I found A Dramatic Turn of Events to be better than just about everything after A Change of Seasons and upon revisiting that album this week I must revalidate this opinion. I furthermore gave I&W, ACOS and Awake a few spins and was astonished (pun intended) at how much I still like those records and how impressive they are in instrumental prowess and originality. At some point in the late 90s the band, to me, lost the very bluesy and jazzy edge that mixed so well with their highly melodious side (I'm thinking of the intense middle part in A change of seasons, 6:00 on Awake, or parts of Under A Glass moon, Metropolis and learning to live, to name a few). Now I do enjoy some of their later stuff as well (I hold the above mentioned a dramatic turn of events in high regard and still throughly enjoy much of Six degrees of inner turbulence and some crunchy tunes on octavarium and Metropolis part 2, the count of Tuscany on BC&SL etc.), but some of their boldness of the 90s that really defined their style has completely disappeared imo. Now my questions: Firstly - Do you see my point or am I just babbling up a storm? I for one believe it has something to do with the keyboards: I very much enjoy the more minimalistic but highly melodious approach Kevin Moore brought to I&W and Awake. Then again there's Sherinian on A change of seasons, which works for me as well. Rudess seemed fine to me in the beginning but lately especially he bores the hell out of me. Always the same overblown effects, too many notes on one beat and so on...On top of that he is so far down in the mix on the last albums it's just a muddy affair. Then there's the Portnoy - Mangini question...or is there? I find both have brought out good and more bland albums with DT. For me one thing is for sure: Mangini is a much less characteristic drummer in DT. I get the feeling Petrucci just programs the drums and Mangini comes to the studio after to play exactly what was programmed. Any thoughts? Please help. I didn't find the right solution from the Internet. References: http://www.progressiveears.org/forum/showthread.php/21864-Dream-Theater-What-happened Corporate Video Pricing Thanks!

All proceeds support the festival and the Village of Yellow Pine

• Facebook B&W
  • Instagram - Black Circle

© 2019 by Yellow Pine Music & Harmonica Festival                      yellowpinefestival@gmail.com                   208.633.6945